Saturday, May 29, 2010

Complacency.

 Complacency
"A feeling of contentment or self-satisfaction, especially when coupled with an unawareness of danger, trouble, or controversy."





Wow.. Its been nearly 2 months since I said I was gonna revive this blog.. 
But I guess I've been rather busy with army and stuff.. 
So I didnt feel like using my time to blog my views as I want to enjoy my weekends.
Since now I have time.. And feeling kinda crap..

I Miss Everyone...

I'll start off my discussion with reference from my Field Camp experience..

I'll just explain what that is first.


Field camp is a 6 day 5 night training for recruits to experience the outside.
No bunks.. just tents.. or the hard floor under the open sky..
Learning to fight in different combat situation..  

Well I can say it was absolutely shit...
The weather was the main cause..
Throughout the entire camp I felt really kinda depressed.. 
The slightest thought could bring me to tears but I distracted myself with randomness with jokes and positive thinking... Ignoring everything I missed..
With rain pouring everyday.. 
There was never a moment where my feet felt dry..
Never a point where my uniform didn't stink of the stench of wet grass and mud..
Imagine trying to sleep on the hard ground.. at 1am.. only to be awoken every single night with rain pouring at around 3.45am every morning..
for 5 nights.. even after a hard days training..


On the 4th night..
WELL! All of us recruits call it Operation Teardrop..
Its when the Commanders will turn out all the recruits to form up.. 
Where we get tortured physically and verbally...
All on purpose to make us feel useless and defeated..
And for good reasons too..


Our parents writes us letters, which get given out during field camp..
They threatened to burn these letters right in front of us..
They did burn some.. but fortunately were fakes to scare us..


Some of the things they said really hit me...
I felt its was so unfair.. Too generalized to the average Singaporean...
Statements like..
"You guys keep taking advantage of us right?"
"Go home this weekend and let your mother or maid do all the washing"
"While you go out with your friends whom you havent seen in 2 weeks.. Two weeks only! think its like forever issit"
"Dont know how to appreciate the people around you.. Only know how to take advantage and benefit from their kindness.."


The suck thing is...
My mom isnt around.. and wont be for the next year...
I do my own washing.. always have.. 
So dont tell me I just chuck my laundry to someone else to do..
I spent 5 hours cleaning the night I came back.. I slept at 4.30am just to clean my stuff..


My friends?
I havent seen them in 3 months.. (Has it only been 3 months?.. Feels soo long..)
And I wont see them for another 2 years..
Now you tell me how crap I felt when I heard "haven't seen in 2 weeks"
I dont get to talk to them often..
I have no way of contact with any of them during the weekdays...
I DONT have any of my closest friends to talk to inside of camp..


I DO appreciate my friends..
I just dont have any close ones here..
Its hard being in a country you dont have grounding in..
No real friends you can trust.. cause that takes time.

I miss everyone..
I miss NZ
I miss my friends
I miss my family..
I miss.. Just someone whom I can count on...






This leads me to my point...
The only reason the commanders do this was to wake us up..
For people to realize just how Complacent we are with things around us.. And how wrong of us to feel that way about how we treat people..


Lets start with our parents..
How many here can honestly say they show their parents how much you appreciated them for everything they've done for you..
Watching you grow..
Nurturing you to the person who you are today..
Supporting you through your hardships and troubles..
How much they actually do for you..
Do we really know the extent in which they would go just to see us safe?
We really do not know how much they care for us...
We dont know cause we dont have children of our own..
So we can never really know till the day comes and you have 1 for your own..


And wouldn't you love your child to say how much they appreciate you?
But then again... You can expect them to..
Cause you yourself didnt do it as a child..
And you'd wonder to yourself how your parents continued on and helped you even when you took advantage of everything they do..
Its hard for them so dont make it harder by thinking about yourself..
How complacent are we to our mistreatment of the closest people in our lives..? Our Parents.


We sometimes give ourselves the excuse of "He didnt do that so why should I do it to?"
So... Why should your kid treat you with kindness and respect when you yourself didnt do so when you were a child?
Its a simple questions...
Why? 
Why do we take advantage?
Cause they dont ask for anything back?
Its cause they love us for who we are..
Its something we cant possibly grasp..

What I'm trying to say is...
You dont want to wake up one day...
And finally realize something..
On a certain tragic day..
The day 1 of them pass away..
Where you regret things you've never done or said..
WE ALL have that feeling of how regretful we would feel if that happened..
But Why do we delay it?

I don't know..
For I do it too..


Its up to you to do something about it..




Our Loved ones..
BF/GF Best friends.. 
Where do I begin?

I guess theres a point in time in a relationship where we are so used to one another..
That we tend to get bored..
We forget the reason that you two are together in the first place..
Cause your in love...
Being bored is normal..
There's only so much 1 can interest you...


We lose sight..
I guess how people begin to cheat on one another..
Loss of interest.. due to familiarity of one another..
The repetition of things..
Start searching for something new.. 
But subconsciously not knowing just how much your throwing away..
All for a new experience, a risk.. Its all or nothing...
A sick idea that you can just fall back to what was there before after your endeavor goes south..
But we all know thats not how it works..
In the end both sides will go through hardship...

Just how selfish are you to even think of doing such a thing though..
How could you risk such a thing just for the sake of having something new whilst not thinking of the consequences..


Cheating is one thing.. probably the worst..
Lets go down to a lower level..


Simple things like.. Assuming things..
After time we tend to have expectations of one another...
And we always assume a certain pattern..

From there on.. Anything off the norm is wrong...

Things get heated over the littlest things..
As we tolerate certain things in the beginning..
But as they repeat.. the Patience drops...
Tension increases..
Arguments arise..
Frequency Increases..
Fights..
Break up..


I know its such a sad and unfair way to put it...
Especially in such simple and general terms which hardly show the complexity of how it really happens..
But that is how it happens in the most basic way to put it...

To be really honest though...
I really have no idea..
I have no experience..
It never progressed far enough to experience it..
I'm just guessing and trying to express something I dont truly know..

1 things for sure..
You Never Know What You Got Till Its GONE.


Simple as that.
Dont take advantage of anything or anyone..
Show them you apprieciate..
Cause 1 day It just might be over..
And then you'd regret having things left unsaid..
Things never dont..
Things you wish you never did..
Regret not trying hard enough..
All because we assume the other was feeling the way you are..
Complacent with what you had even though you know somethings wrong..


Lazy or Blind?
I dont know..
Its different in every situation.

Well..
Thats all I really got on this..



So people, WAKE UP.
Dont be complacent with anything.
Its simple as that.
The greatest fall comes when we are..
Regrets come of not doing things come from it..
You hurt others without realizing till its too late and its all gone..
Dont take advantage of others..
Take care of your friends and family..
Tell people you appreiciate them for everything they've done even if its just the smallest thing..
It can make someone smile..
Don't hold back anything if it makes someone that bit happier about themselves!


Goodnight all,
Ash.

"Familiarity tends to breed complacency"

No comments:

Post a Comment

Facebook Badge